Have you ever sat and thought to yourself “damn, I’ve been through a lot of shit”? Have you had those “wow” moments? I have and over the years I have learned strategies that helped me to remain happier and calmer everyday no matter what problems I’m facing at the moment. I have those days that no negative individual can dim my light.
A lot of times I would see people or friends of mine getting upset, making other individuals ruin their day. But the thing is I use to be that person. I am no longer affected by the negativity of others and it took a bit of trying to understand others and wondering if these negative individuals really deserve my energy. And I have realized that anything or anyone that costs you your peace of mind is too expensive. Let them go!
Today I will share with you 10 ways to make you feel happier and calmer
10 Ways To Feel Happier and Calmer
Let’s face it we all have those days in our life where we feel down, sad or unhappy especially when things are not going our way.
- Recognize you are trying your best you can and that is all you can expect from yourself
- Keep a daily journal and count your blessings – Countless research and studies have indicated that recording a daily journal can be helpful of keeping track of your thoughts and feelings, its a way to improve yourself.
- Have an attitude of gratitude – What this means is to be grateful for everything and everyone in your life no matter how small count everything you were blessed with. For example, family, friends, health, life, just be grateful for everything. I personally practice gratitude everyday regardless of what problem I’m facing at the moment. If I’m feeling down I sit back relax and think about what I have accomplished in my life, I think about how blessed I am to have a wonderful, supportive family I instantly feel better.
- Take 5 – 10 minutes out of your day to meditate or just sit in silence – Mediation is always good, I do it everyday. For me I always need to take a break from people for a while. I take this time to allow myself time to relax and refresh.
- Practice Mindfulness – I did a blog some time ago on the use of mindfulness while doing household chores. Some people were like “this will never help me I hate chores”. I teach clients to use mindfulness in any simple task around the home. Hate doing the dishes? Use a dishwashing liquid with lime or lemon fragrance and concentrate and focus on the activity that you are doing. Mindfulness can be used for anything even when you are just simply taking a shower.
- Spend time with close friends and family – Spending time with friends and family is always good. Positivity is contagious it will make you feel happier and calmer. Negativity is also contagious, people who are negative can also make you feel depressed and unhappy so it’s important that you associate yourself with positive individuals. Ever heard the saying “when a negative person leaves your life is like the trash took itself out”. When you are no longer surrounded by negative people you instantly feel better, refreshed, happier you start gaining back positive energy you lost when this person was in your life.
- If or when you need support don’t be afraid to ask – A lot of people maybe going through difficult times in their lives and are afraid to ask for support. If in any event you need support don’t be afraid to ask. You are not superwoman or superman sometimes certain situations in your life require support to be at better pace or point in your life. Sometimes life can knock you down., we all have problems no one is exempted from having problems, sometimes the support system is what gets you through a difficult time.There is no shame in needing support from others.
- Take care of your health, exercise, eat well, sleep well and drink lots of water – Have you ever heard the saying “your health is your wealth without it you have nothing”? Exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Eat nutritious food, limit your intake of refined carbohydrates, limit sugary foods and drinks, also, you can never go wrong with drinking water. Sleep is very important for your physical and mental health, when you are rested you think better, you feel better, lack of sleep can set off a whole number of issues. It’s important to take good care of yourself. For more on sleep deprivation you can check out my blog on Cognitive functions that fail due to lack of sleep.
- When dealing with problem give it 20 percent and give 80 percent to finding solutions – I have had problems like this in the past where I focus mostly on the problem ignoring possible solutions because when we are faced with issues in our lives our attention seems to be focused on the problem at hand. Focusing on the problem would not fix the problem rather it will only make you feel worst, depressed, frustrated etc. When faced with a problem instead of worrying try to find some possible solutions always remember to stay focused on solving the issue.
- Let go of situations, people and events you cannot control – Learn to let go of situations and people you have no control over. As difficult as it is to accept, we have no control over the behavior of others their actions etc but yet we try so hard to get them to change, when we try to do this we tend to feel frustrated, and unhappy when things are not going our way. Think of how difficult it is for you to change a bad habit and then you would realize how little control you have over others’ ability to change. You cannot change anyone but you can control your reaction to them or the situation. This will help you to feel happier and calmer. Accept others as they are and move on..
Any questions, queries or concerns with regards to mental illness please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email.